The Art of the Cocktail - An Educational Series by Scott Harris
Ever wonder where the cocktail came from?
What were the primary influences of the early bartenders?
How did Prohibition affect the cocktail?
What spirits were widely available before/during/after Prohibition?
What's the difference between a fizz and a flip?
What exactly are vermouth/bitters/shrubs, anyway?
Catoctin Creek is proud to present, our second year of this six-part educational series on the history and the art of the cocktail. This is a reprise of last year's content, so if you missed this very popular series last year, we highly encourage you to make your reservation now!
Starting in January, Scott Harris, founder and distiller at Catoctin Creek, will appear in the tasting room every Friday for this six-week series. Beginning at 7pm, Scott will personally guide you through the history and construction of several cocktail styles, including the old classics, and modern takes on the cocktail! There will be samples for sharing, and you are encouraged to buy bottles to take home with you and practice. Lots of practice.
Here is the schedule of the series:
- January 6 - The Old Fashioned - the proto-cocktail of the 1840s
- January 13 - Gin is in! Several gin cocktails including the Martinez, the Gimlet, and the Sloe Gin Fizz
- January 20 - Everything you wanted to know about Martinis and bitters
- January 27 - NO CLASS THIS WEEK. Scott is on vacation
- February 3 - New Orleans mojo - The sophisticated and complex beauty of the Sazerac
- February 10 - NO CLASS THIS WEEK. Our Distillery Dinner instead
- February 17 - Moonshine in American culture - 1930 to present day
- February 24 - Toddies and warm cocktails
If you don't know anything about cocktails, you'll love this class. If you're already an expert, come and enjoy some casual conversation and a few drinks. The cost is $25 per person and includes drinks. Sign up for all six and receive two FREE Catoctin Creek rocks glasses and a FREE copy of The Architecture of the Cocktail.
|What:||Art of the Cocktail|
|Where:||120 W. Main Street
|When:||Every Friday from January 6 to February 24
(some exceptions, see above)
7:00pm - 9:00pm
(includes four cocktails)
This class will fill up, so reserve your spot now! Due to overwhelming demand and the intimate size of our tasting room, space is limited to the first 34 people responding.
Per ABC laws, cocktail samples will be limited to four pours with 0.5 oz of liquor in each pour. Certain mixer limitations will apply.