December is here!
Happy Holidays to you all! Christmas and Hanukkah are quickly approaching, and our thoughts turn to unwinding from the stress of our daily lives and spending more time with friends and family this month. It is such a gift to be alive, and to be with the ones we love. We at Catoctin Creek are particularly blessed to be doing what we love, and to have customers like yourselves who enjoy our craft.
So, from the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and may there be peace on Earth in our lifetime!
Gift Items This Holiday Season
Stop by our tasting room this holiday season and pick up one of our exciting gift items for the holiday. Spirits are the perfect gift for those fussy relatives who already have everything! Give them something local, hand-crafted, and totally unique this year!
We have three-set gift packs of our flagship products: Roundstone Rye, Mosby's Spirit, and Watershed Gin in cute little 200 mL bottles, all displayed in a handsome custom gift box. We also have hand-wrapped gift baskets with your choice of spirits, glassware, and bar accessories like bitters and cocktail books. We'll gladly make you a custom basket while you wait. Finally, if you just can't decide, you can pick up a gift card for any amount at our store (or call us, we'll mail it to you).
There's pretty much something for anyone on your list! Stop by soon and see for yourself!
Brandy Seminar at the Smithsonian
Join us December 12 in Washington DC at the Smithsonian Castle
Nothing warms a December evening like brandy. Whether you're sipping it by the fire or enjoying it in a glass of your favorite eggnog, brandy gives an added glow to the holidays. The venerable distilled wine is produced and enjoyed the world over, with cognac from France leading the way, but other varieties include the German label Asbach, pisco from Peru, and even brandy made here in the Washington area.
Scott Harris is a distiller and brandy evangelist, as well as the man responsible for a new local spirit, Catoctin Creek’s 1757 Brandy from Loudoun County. Enjoy a lively evening as Harris explains production methods around the globe, offers expert tips for enjoying your brandy, and shares some of his favorite bottles.
The cost is $65 or $50 for Smithsonian members.
The Art of the Cocktail - An Educational Series for January
Our second year -- presented by Scott Harris, Founder of the Distillery
Catoctin Creek is proud to present, our second year of this six-part educational series on the history and the art of the cocktail. This is a reprise of last year's content, so if you missed this very popular series last year, we highly encourage you to make your reservation now!
Starting in January, Scott Harris, founder and distiller at Catoctin Creek, will appear in the tasting room every Friday for this six-week series. Beginning at 7pm, Scott will personally guide you through the history and construction of several cocktail styles, including the old classics, and modern takes on the cocktail! There will be samples for sharing, and you are encouraged to buy bottles to take home with you and practice. Lots of practice.
Here is the schedule of the series, which starts in 2017:
- January 6 - The Old Fashioned - the proto-cocktail of the 1840s
- January 13 - Gin is in! Several gin cocktails including the Martinez, the Gimlet, and the Sloe Gin Fizz
- January 20 - Everything you wanted to know about Martinis and bitters
- January 27 - NO CLASS THIS WEEK. Scott is on vacation
- February 3 - New Orleans mojo - The sophisticated and complex beauty of the Sazerac
- February 10 - NO CLASS THIS WEEK. Our Distillery Dinner instead
- February 17 - Moonshine in American culture - 1930 to present day
- February 24 - Toddies and warm cocktails
If you don't know anything about cocktails, you'll love this class. If you're already an expert, come and enjoy some casual conversation and a few drinks. The cost is $30 per person and includes drinks. Sign up for all six and receive two FREE Catoctin Creek rocks glasses and a FREE copy of The Architecture of the Cocktail.
For more information, click here: http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/art
Our Final Dinner of the Year - A Holiday Feast!
Dinner will be a four-course affair, using seasonal produce and local suppliers, prepared by Chefs Wes Rosati and Maria Aros of The Wandering Chef. This month's menu will highlight a holiday theme.
Enjoy a private tour of the distillery from owners, Scott and Becky Harris. Becky will guide you through the process of making whisky, and Scott will describe for you the wonderful history of our "new" building, which is nearly 100 years old.
Oh, and did I say cocktails? Yes, Scott & Becky Harris will personally craft cocktails expertly paired with your dinner! This will be a magical evening, and one not to miss!!
Dinner is priced at $99, and includes all four courses and cocktails. Reserve your space now, while there is still space available! Click here for more details.
Wow! We have a ton of events this month!
Here is the full list of events planned at the distillery and in the area this month. Many events are free, so be sure to join us for something fun:
- December 2 - Virginia ABC tastings - Free tastings at the McLean ABC store. FREE!
- December 3-4 - MetroCooking DC - Join us in the Beer, Wine and Spirits Garden.
- December 6 - Distiller Dinner at Brookland's Finest - Join us for a special three course menu with cocktails. $35/pp
- December 8 - Bacon and Bourbon - Join us at the Washingtonian's annual festival of bacon, bourbon and bluegrass.
- December 9 - Dinner at the Distillery - Fine dining at the distillery. Join Scott and Becky for a four-course dinner with cocktail pairings $99/pp
- December 9 - Virginia ABC tastings - Free tastings at the Alexandria ABC stores. FREE!
- December 9 - Repeal Day Ball - The annual DC Bartenders Guild tradition!
- December 12 - Brandy at the Smithsonian - Join Scott Harris as he gives a seminar (with drinks!) on brandies throughout the world. $65/pp ($50 for members)
- December 13 - Distiller Dinner at Brookland's Finest - Join us for a special three course menu with cocktails. $35/pp
- December 14 - Whisky Wednesday at Boss Shepherd's - Chad will be on hand with free tastings and cocktail specials. FREE!
- December 16 - Virginia ABC tastings - Free tastings at the Falls Church ABC stores. FREE!
- December 16 - 3rd Eggnog Festival - Join Chad for homemade eggnog at Weygandt Wines in DC. FREE!
- December 17 - Bottling Workshop - Always free to public, and a fun morning of breakfast, bottling and tastings! FREE!
- December 20 - Distiller Dinner at Brookland's Finest - Join us for a special three course menu with cocktails. $35/pp
- December 23 - Virginia ABC tastings - Free tastings at the Fairfax ABC stores. FREE!
- December 25 - CHRISTMAS DAY - We will be CLOSED.
- December 27 - Distiller Dinner at Brookland's Finest - Join us for a special three course menu with cocktails. $35/pp
- December 30 - Virginia ABC tastings - Free tastings at the Alexandria ABC stores. FREE!
- January 1 - NEW YEARS DAY - We will be CLOSED.
- January 6 - February 24 - Art of the Cocktail - Join Scott for an informative and fun class celebrating classic cocktails of ages past. $25/pp
For the full list of events, check our events page.
Cocktail of the Month – Red Riding Hood
This one comes to us from our friends at Element Shrub:
Keep the big bad wolves away with this shrub and bitters twist on a Boulevardier, another one of our cocktail collaborations with @dcembitterment.
1½ oz Roundstone Rye whisky
1 oz Campari
½ oz Blueberry Rosemary Element Shrub
Several dashes of DC Embitterment orange bitters
Add all ingredients of a shaker with ice. Shake thoroughly until chilled. Strain into a coupe glass. Top with bitters.
Recipe and photo courtesy Charlie Berkinshaw of Element Shrub, and used with permission.
See this cocktail and hundreds more on our cocktails page.
As always, there are lots of fun and information on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, where you can stay up to date with the daily activities at the distillery. We are open every Tuesday through Sunday for tastings and bottle purchases, so stop by and see us sometime!
Scott & Becky