February...ugh! Glad that's over!
Enough of all this snow... bring on the spring!!
Despite the dreary weather, February was a pretty good month for us.
We announced our release of the Barrel Aged Gin coming out in March. Details on that are below. We also announced our Art Contest, which will be wrapping up in March as well.
During February, we also began distribution to California, so if you live in the Golden State, you can get Catoctin Creek now! Here's how.
So, cheer up, dear folks, spring is just around the corner!
Barrel Aged Gin released this month
Catoctin Creek is pleased to announce the limited release of our Pearousia Barrel "Old Tom" style Watershed Gin. We took our regular, award-winning Watershed Gin, and set some aside for a time to rest in a re-used Pearousia pear brandy barrel. The result is a golden, rich, and surprisingly fruity gin which gleams in those cocktails made for Old Tom gins, like the famous Ramos Gin Fizz.
Each 750 mL bottle is bottled at 92.4 proof (46.2% ABV). The Virginia ABC price is $50.90.
The formal release schedule for the "Old Tom" Watershed Gin is:
At the Distilery:
- Sunday, March 1 -- Available for purchase to VIP members, until March 14
- Sunday, March 8 -- "Ramos Gin Fizz" Shake Off Event -- For VIP members, a cocktail party celebrating the new gin with classic cocktail fun!
- Sunday, March 15 -- Available for purchase to the general public
At Weygandt Wines in DC:
- Saturday, March 14 -- Chad will be pouring tastings at Weygandt Wines with the new gin, among other Catoctin Creek products
At Hank's on the Hill in DC:
- Monday, March 16 -- Launch party at Hanks on the Hill from 5pm - 7pm, featuring a $5 happy hour punch and special cocktail menu at $10 apiece.
Art Contest - Details and a Special Event!
We are proud to announce our first ever art contest. Intended as a way to support and promote the diverse local art community of Loudoun County, Virginia and surrounding areas, we will accept submissions of art, with a grand prize of $1000 for the winning piece!Submissions will be accepted until March 13, 2015, at 5:00pm. The contest will be judged by the employees of the Loudoun distillery, and a winner will be chosen on March 20th.
- Grand Prize: $1000
- Second Place: $500
- Third Place: $250
All submitted entries will be eligible for display in our tasting room for the entire month of April.
For full details, entry information, and rules of the contest, please click here.
Pictured above, clockwise from top left, art by Andrew Spell, Jay Cliburn, David Buchanan, and Firefly Imageworks.
Here are a bunch of really cool events planned at the distillery and in the area. If you can't find an event here that suits you, you're just not trying that hard:
- March 1 - Barrel Aged Gin - Available for purchase for VIP members.
- March 5 - Howie Day - This one is SOLD OUT. Hope you got your tickets already.
- March 6 - Dinner at Trummer's on Main - Scott and Becky team up with Trummer's for a fantastic dinnertime experience.
- March 8 - "Ramos Gin Fizz" Shake Off - VIP members only party for the new Barrel Aged Gin.
- March 11 - War Shore Oyster Tasting - Join us as we invite War Shore Oyster Company to pair oysters with cocktails in our tasting room.
- March 12 - Whiskey Event at the W Hotel - Join Scott at the Root Cellar of Pinea, located at the historic W Hotel in DC.
- March 13 - Sips and Savories with Willowsford - Again, we team up with Chef Bonnie Moore for some cool eats and smooth drinks!
- March 14 - Barrel Aged Gin Tasting at Weygandt Wines - Get a taste of the new release at Weygandt Wines in DC.
- March 15 - Barrel Aged Gin - Available for purchase for the general public.
- March 15 - Thomas Circle Singers Gala - Enjoy an evening of choral pops, cocktails, food, and a silent auction.
- March 16 - Barrel Aged Gin Party at Hanks on the Hill - 5pm - 7pm with drink specials and a happy hour menu.
- March 20 - Dinner at the Distillery - In our second year, these monthly dinners have become quite the sensation!
- March 28 - Bottling Workshop - Yes, we still have room in March! Join us for free and learn how to bottle whisky!
- March 29 - Catoctin Creek Art Contest Event - We will announce the winners of the art contest and have tastings available.
- March 31 - Eat and Drink like a BOSS! - Join Scott and Becky at Boss Shepherd's in DC for some great food and whiskey pairings.
Holy cow! That's a lot of events!!!
For the full list of events, check our events page.
Cocktail of the Month – Ramos Gin Fizz
This cocktail requires quite a bit of shaking... best to do it with friends!
3 oz Catoctin Creek Pearousia Barrel "Old Tom" Watershed Gin
1/2 oz parts fresh lime juice
1/2 oz fresh fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
4 oz cream
1 egg white
3 dashes Orange flower water
2 drops Vanilla extract
Pour all ingredients except soda in a mixing glass, dry shake (no ice) for two minutes, add ice and hard shake for another minute.
Strain into a highball glass without ice, top with soda.
Recipe courtesy Wikipedia.
See this cocktail and hundreds more on our cocktails page.
As always, there are lots of fun and information on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, where you can stay up to date with the daily activities at the distillery. We do tours and tastings every day, so stop by and see us sometime!
Scott & Becky