The Art of the Cocktail - An ONLINE Event with Scott Harris
Ever wonder where the cocktail came from?
What were the primary influences of the early bartenders?
How did Prohibition affect the cocktail?
What spirits were widely available before/during/after Prohibition?
What's the difference between a fizz and a flip?
What exactly are vermouth/bitters/shrubs, anyway?
Catoctin Creek is proud to present, our SIXTH year of this six-part educational series on the history and the art of the cocktail. This year, we are offering the class as an ONLINE class since we can't have classes in person in the distillery. Here are the logistics of the online class format:
- Lower price for the class (Just $10 per person)
- Each week before the class, we will give you a shopping list of items to purchase, including our spirits. All of our spirits and much of the mixers will be available for purchase on our website for pickup or delivery.
- The day of the class, I will email you a ZOOM link for the class.
- Then, comfortably ensconced in your home, you can follow along with your ingredients and equipment. Keep your camera on so I can see your faces, and feel free to ASK QUESTIONS! I still want this to be an interactive experience!
- This is our first attempt at this as an online course, so everything is subject to change!
Starting in September, Scott Harris, founder and distiller at Catoctin Creek, will appear online via Zoom every Friday for this six-week series. Beginning at 7pm, Scott will personally guide you through the history and construction of several cocktail styles, including the old classics, and modern takes on the cocktail! Bottles will be available for sale on our ONLINE SHOP so you can get what you need for the workshops.
Here is the schedule of the series:
- September 4 - The Old Fashioned - the proto-cocktail of the 1840s
- September 11 - Gin is in! Several gin cocktails including the Martinez, the Gimlet, and the Sloe Gin Fizz
- September 18 - Vermouth cocktails, mahattans, martinis, etc.
- September 25 - New Orleans mojo - The sophisticated and complex beauty of the Sazerac
- October 2 - Continental American cocktails
- October 9 - Toddies and warm cocktails
If you don't know anything about cocktails, you'll love this class. If you're already an expert, come and enjoy some casual conversation and a few drinks. The cost is $10 per person. Sign up for all six and receive a special gift.
|What:||Art of the Cocktail|
|Where:||120 W. Main Street |
|When:||Every Friday from Sept. 4 - Oct. 9 |
7:00pm - 9:00pm