Moving into November.
Perfect for the coming holiday season
ANNOUNCING! 20% off on Black Friday! - One day only, the Virginia ABC will be offering 20% off on most liquor products in our tasting room! Come in on Friday, November 29 or miss out forever! Tasting room only.
As we finally move into the cooler days and nights of autumn, don't forget, Catoctin Creek is a perfect companion. A glass of whisky is a delightful treat after a long day of raking leaves on those blustery evenings! You could serve your Thanksgivings guests a wonderful cocktail party before the big feast, or grab a bottle or two for those hard-to-shop-for friends and relatives. Roundstone Rye is a gift sure to please!
For more gift ideas, be sure to check out our list of events below, and bring your friends and family to something fun and truly one-of-a-kind.
Happy November, all!
Catoctin Creek included in Loudoun Virginia's top 40 business moments 1979-2019
We are so honored to be included in Loudoun County's history timeline of top 40 business moments from 1979 - 2019:
Catoctin Creek, Loudoun’s First Distillery Since Prohibition, Opens in Purcellville
Scott and Becky Harris started Loudoun’s first post-Prohibition distillery during the heart of the recession, with funding from personal finances, an SBA loan, and help from neighbors and friends in the community. Now sold in 26 U.S. states and in Europe and Asia, Catoctin Creek has won the most awards of any whiskey made in Virginia.
You can read the full story, here. Photograph courtesy Kristen Dill.
The Art of the Cocktail - Our 5th Year - Tour through the "Bartender's Canon"
Catoctin Creek is pleased to present, our FIFTH year of this six-part educational series on the art of the cocktail. This year, we have all new content exploring the canonical books of each generation of bartending since the beginning of cocktails through modern times.
Starting in January, Scott Harris, founder and distiller at Catoctin Creek, will appear in the tasting room every Friday for this six-week series. Beginning at 7pm, Scott will personally guide you through the construction of several cocktails, including the old classics, and modern takes on the cocktail! There will be samples for sharing, and you are encouraged to buy bottles to take home with you and practice. Lots of practice.
This year, we will also have the books used in the class available for sale to take home at discounted prices.
Here is the schedule of the series:
- January 3 - Jerry Thomas' Bartenders Guide, How to Mix Drinks, Receipts for Mixing..., published 1862.
- January 10 - Harry McElhone & Wynn Holcomb, Barflies and Cocktails, 300 Recipes, published 1927.
- January 17 - Harry Craddock, The Savoy Cocktail Book, published 1930.
- January 24 - Leo Cotton, ed., Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide, published 1935.
- January 31 - Gary Regan, The Bartender's Bible, 1001 Mixed Drinks..., published 1991.
- February 7 - NO CLASS THIS DAY. We are otherwise occupied this evening.
- February 14 - Kara Newman, Shake. Stir. Sip., published 2016.
If you don't know anything about cocktails, you'll love this class. If you're already an expert, come and enjoy some casual conversation and a few drinks. The cost is $35 per person and includes drinks. Sign up for all six and receive two FREE Catoctin Creek rocks glasses.
|What:||Art of the Cocktail|
|Where:||120 W. Main Street |
|When:||Every Friday from January 3 to February 14 |
(some exceptions, see above)
7:00pm - 9:00pm
(includes four cocktails)
This class will fill up, so reserve your spot now! Due to overwhelming demand and the intimate size of our tasting room, space is limited to the first 30 people responding.
Per ABC laws, cocktail samples will be limited to four pours with 0.5 oz of liquor in each pour.
We have some great events coming up. Here is the full list of events planned at the distillery and in the area. Many events are free, so be sure to join us for something fun:
- Nov 4 - Battle of the Bartenders - Northern Virginia's ultimate cocktail competition! $65/pp
- Nov 16 - Bottling Workshop - Join us for this always fun, always free workshop and bottle your own whisky! FREE
- Nov 17 - Jim Malcolm Concert - Scotland's troubadour back for another concert! $25/pp
- Nov 22 - Lighting of the Vines - Join us at Bluemont Vineyard for this once a year collaborative event! $139/pp
- Dec 13 - Dinner at the Distillery - Join us for our Christmas dinner at the distillery. $99/pp SOLD OUT
- Dec 21 - Bottling Workshop - Join us for this always fun, always free workshop and bottle your own whisky! FREE
- Jan - Feb - Art of the Cocktail - This year, we will be studying the original books in cocktail history. $35/pp
- Jan 25 - Burns Dinner at Oatlands - A Scottish tradition, we'll celebrate the life of Robert Burns with a wonderful feast! $120/pp
For the full list of events, check our events page.
Cocktail of the Month – The Virginia Commonwealth
This cocktail comes to us from Nathan Wilkinson, @jollybartender on Instagram. It is a wonderful celebration of Commonwealth featuring two of its best distilleries:
This cocktail shows off Catoctin Creek’s Distillers Edition Roundstone Rye with Mt. Defiance Sweet Vermouth—two great Virginia distilleries.
3 oz Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye Distiller's Edition
½ oz Mt. Defiance Sweet Vermouth
½ oz Ramazzotti amaro
3 dashes Hella orange bitters
Lemon zest garnish
Combine all ingredients in a shaker of ice. Stir and strain into a coupe and garnish.
Cocktail and photo courtesy Nathan Wilkinson, and used with permission.
See this cocktail and hundreds more on our cocktails page.
As always, there are lots of fun and information on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, where you can stay up to date with the daily activities at the distillery. We are open every Tuesday through Sunday for tastings and bottle purchases, so stop by and see us sometime!
Scott & Becky