December is here!
Happy Holidays to you all! Christmas and Hanukkah are quickly approaching, and our thoughts turn to unwinding from the stress of our daily lives and spending more time with friends and family this month. It is such a gift to be alive, and to be with the ones we love. We at Catoctin Creek are particularly blessed to be doing what we love, and to have customers like yourselves who enjoy our craft.
So, from the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and may there be Peace on Earth in our lifetime!
Photo credit: @justinccdc
Gift Items This Holiday Season
Stop by our tasting room this holiday season and pick up one of our exciting gift items for the holiday. Spirits are the perfect gift for those fussy relatives who already have everything! Give them something local, hand-crafted, and totally unique this year!
We have gift packs of our flagship products: Roundstone Rye, Watershed Gin, and a Glencairn glass in cute little 200 mL bottles, all displayed in a handsome custom gift box. We also have hand-wrapped gift baskets with your choice of spirits, glassware, and bar accessories like bitters and cocktail books. We'll gladly make you a custom basket while you wait. Finally, if you just can't decide, you can pick up a gift card for any amount at our store (or call us, we'll mail it to you).
There's pretty much something for anyone on your list! Stop by soon and see for yourself!
The Art of the Cocktail - Tour through the "Bartender's Canon"
Our fifth year of this popular class -- presented by Scott Harris, Founder of the Distillery
Catoctin Creek is pleased to present, our FIFTH year of this six-part educational series on the art of the cocktail. This year, we have all new content exploring the canonical books of each generation of bartending since the beginning of cocktails through modern times.
Starting in January, Scott Harris, founder and distiller at Catoctin Creek, will appear in the tasting room every Friday for this six-week series. Beginning at 7pm, Scott will personally guide you through the construction of several cocktails, including the old classics, and modern takes on the cocktail! There will be samples for sharing, and you are encouraged to buy bottles to take home with you and practice. Lots of practice.
This year, we will also have the books used in the class available for sale to take home at discounted prices.
Here is the schedule of the series:
- January 3 - Jerry Thomas' Bartenders Guide, How to Mix Drinks, Receipts for Mixing..., published 1862.
- January 10 - Harry McElhone & Wynn Holcomb, Barflies and Cocktails, 300 Recipes, published 1927.
- January 17 - Harry Craddock, The Savoy Cocktail Book, published 1930.
- January 24 - Leo Cotton, ed., Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide, published 1960.
- January 31 - Gary Regan, The Bartender's Bible, 1001 Mixed Drinks..., published 1991.
- February 7 - NO CLASS THIS DAY. We are otherwise occupied this evening.
- February 14 - Kara Newman, Shake. Stir. Sip., published 2016.
NOTICE ON SNOW DAYS: If we have to cancel a class because of weather, we will reschedule the date to February 21, February 28, etc. Your reservation will be honored for the snow date, or you may get a refund if you are unable to make the new date.
If you don't know anything about cocktails, you'll love this class. If you're already an expert, come and enjoy some casual conversation and a few drinks. The cost is $35 per person and includes drinks. Sign up for all six and receive two FREE Catoctin Creek rocks glasses.
Each session is $35 per person (VIP members 20% off), and includes four cocktails.
This class will fill up, so reserve your spot now! Due to overwhelming demand and the intimate size of our tasting room, space is limited to the first 30 people responding.
Per ABC laws, cocktail samples will be limited to four pours with 0.5 oz of liquor in each pour. Certain mixer limitations will apply.
Wow! We have some great events in the coming months. Here is the full list of events planned at the distillery and in the area this month. Many events are free, so be sure to join us for something fun:
- December 13 - Holiday Dinner at the Distillery - Fine dining at the distillery. Join Scott and Becky for a four-course dinner with cocktail pairings. $99/pp SOLD OUT
- December 21 - Bottling Workshop - Always free to public, and a fun morning of breakfast, bottling and tastings! FREE!
- December 25 - CHRISTMAS DAY - We will be CLOSED to be with friends and family.
- January 1 - NEW YEARS DAY - We will be CLOSED due to massive hangovers.
- January 3 - February 4 - Art of the Cocktail - Join Scott for an informative and fun class celebrating flavors of the world! $35/pp
- January 25 - Burns Dinner at Oatlands - A Scottish tradition! Great food, song, drink, whisky, and even haggis! $120/pp
For the full list of events, check our events page.
Cocktail of the Month – Bucky Barnes
This cocktail is a modification of one that was in Whisky Advocate. The original recipe had a rather complicated pear/persimmon/clove brown simple syrup, which I'm sure is lovely, but I just finished canning a dozen cans of fresh persimmon jam, and so I wanted to use that instead. I've tweaked things around a bit while still honoring the original ingredients and proportions. And honestly, it came out great!!
This cocktail is the embodiment of November. You can serve it as a sling (cold, with an ice cube), or warm it gently and serve as a toddy.
3 oz Roundstone Rye 92 Proof
1 oz Nonino amaro
½ oz brown sugar syrup or molasses syrup
½ oz persimmon jam
2 oz pear juice
dash of vanilla extract
dash of woodland bitters
Vigorously shake all the ingredients in a shaker of ice. Double-strain and serve with a big rock in a rocks glass. Serves two.
Recipe and photo courtesy Scott Harris, variation on a recipe in Whisky Advocate.
See this cocktail and hundreds more on our cocktails page.
As always, there are lots of fun and information on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, where you can stay up to date with the daily activities at the distillery. We are open every Tuesday through Sunday for tastings and bottle purchases, so stop by and see us sometime!
Scott & Becky