The Art of the Cocktail - An Educational Series by Scott Harris
Ever wonder where the cocktail came from?
What were the primary influences of the early bartenders?
How did Prohibition affect the cocktail?
What spirits were widely available before/during/after Prohibition?
What's the difference between a fizz and a flip?
What exactly are vermouth/bitters/shrubs, anyway?
Catoctin Creek is proud to present, the first in a six-part educational series on the history and the art of the cocktail.
Starting in January, Scott Harris, founder and distiller at Catoctin Creek, will appear in the tasting room every Friday for this six-week series. Beginning at 7pm, Scott will personally guide you through the history and construction of several cocktail styles, including the old classics, and modern takes on the cocktail! There will be samples for sharing, and you are encouraged to buy bottles to take home with you and practice. Lots of practice.
Here is the schedule of the series:
- January 8 - The Old Fashioned - the proto-cocktail of the 1840s - [Download Class 1 notes here]
- February 26 - Early gin cocktails - Punch, Collins, Rickey and Ramos (snow day reschedule) [Download Class 2 notes here]
- January 29 - Vermouth comes of age - Manhattans and Martinis - [Download Class 3 notes here]
- February 5 - New Orleans mojo - The sophisticated and complex beauty of the Sazerac and its kin - [Download Class 4 notes here]
- February 12 - Prohibition, or the dawn of Moonshine in American culture - 1920 to present day - [Download Class 5 notes here]
- February 19 - Toddies and warm cocktails- [Download Class 6 notes here]
If you don't know anything about cocktails, you'll love this class. If you're already an expert, come and enjoy some casual conversation and a few drinks. The cost is $25 per person and includes drinks. Sign up for all six and receive two FREE Catoctin Creek rocks glasses and a FREE copy of The Architecture of the Cocktail.
|What:||Art of the Cocktail|
|Where:||120 W. Main Street
|When:||Every Friday from January 8 to February 26
7:00pm - 9:00pm
(includes four cocktails)
This class will fill up, so reserve your spot now! Due to overwhelming demand and the intimate size of our tasting room, space is limited to the first 34 people responding.
Per ABC laws, cocktail samples will be limited to four pours with 0.5 oz of liquor in each pour.