Purcellville, VA, March 6, 2015 — Catoctin Creek Distilling Company has been awarded a silver medal from the Beverage Testing Institute in Chicago, Illinois. Catoctin Creek Organic Roundstone Rye "92 Proof" was awarded 87 points (Highly Recommended) and won silver in the category of rye whiskey.
From the review:
Roundstone Rye "92 Proof" - Amber color. Bright, fruity, spicy aromas of spumoni gelato, beeswax candle, cedar spice rack, and burnt sugar with a supple, racy, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a peppery, intriguing, medium-long nutmeg, pink pepper, dried fruits, and chili pepper finish. A very spice forward rye that will pop in cocktails. 87 points - Highly Recommended - Silver
The Beverage Testing Institute was founded in 1981 with the objective of producing fair and impartial wine reviews for consumers. Today, this philosophy still holds true. Over the years, their buying guides have appeared in the Wine Enthusiast, Restaurant Hospitality, The New Yorker Magazine, Wine & Spirits, International Wine Review, Epicurious.com, All About Beer, and many others.
"We are very glad to receive these awards," said founder and co-distiller Scott Harris. "BTI is one of the most respected names in beverage reviews, and we're very happy to get this praise for our whisky." Mr. Harris is the Vice President and General Manager at Catoctin Creek, a family run "mom and pop" operation he and his wife, Becky Harris, started in 2009.
For more information about the Beverage Testing Institute, see http://www.tastings.com.
February...ugh! Glad that's over!
Enough of all this snow... bring on the spring!!
Despite the dreary weather, February was a pretty good month for us.
We announced our release of the Barrel Aged Gin coming out in March. Details on that are below. We also announced our Art Contest, which will be wrapping up in March as well.
During February, we also began distribution to California, so if you live in the Golden State, you can get Catoctin Creek now! Here's how.
So, cheer up, dear folks, spring is just around the corner!
Barrel Aged Gin released this month
Catoctin Creek is pleased to announce the limited release of our Pearousia Barrel "Old Tom" style Watershed Gin. We took our regular, award-winning Watershed Gin, and set some aside for a time to rest in a re-used Pearousia pear brandy barrel. The result is a golden, rich, and surprisingly fruity gin which gleams in those cocktails made for Old Tom gins, like the famous Ramos Gin Fizz.
Each 750 mL bottle is bottled at 92.4 proof (46.2% ABV). The Virginia ABC price is $50.90.
The formal release schedule for the "Old Tom" Watershed Gin is:
At the Distilery:
- Sunday, March 1 -- Available for purchase to VIP members, until March 14
- Sunday, March 8 -- "Ramos Gin Fizz" Shake Off Event -- For VIP members, a cocktail party celebrating the new gin with classic cocktail fun!
- Sunday, March 15 -- Available for purchase to the general public
At Weygandt Wines in DC:
- Saturday, March 14 -- Chad will be pouring tastings at Weygandt Wines with the new gin, among other Catoctin Creek products
At Hank's on the Hill in DC:
- Monday, March 16 -- Launch party at Hanks on the Hill from 5pm - 7pm, featuring a $5 happy hour punch and special cocktail menu at $10 apiece.
Art Contest - Details and a Special Event!
We are proud to announce our first ever art contest. Intended as a way to support and promote the diverse local art community of Loudoun County, Virginia and surrounding areas, we will accept submissions of art, with a grand prize of $1000 for the winning piece!Submissions will be accepted until March 13, 2015, at 5:00pm. The contest will be judged by the employees of the Loudoun distillery, and a winner will be chosen on March 20th.
- Grand Prize: $1000
- Second Place: $500
- Third Place: $250
All submitted entries will be eligible for display in our tasting room for the entire month of April.
For full details, entry information, and rules of the contest, please click here.
Pictured above, clockwise from top left, art by Andrew Spell, Jay Cliburn, David Buchanan, and Firefly Imageworks.
Here are a bunch of really cool events planned at the distillery and in the area. If you can't find an event here that suits you, you're just not trying that hard:
- March 1 - Barrel Aged Gin - Available for purchase for VIP members.
- March 5 - Howie Day - This one is SOLD OUT. Hope you got your tickets already.
- March 6 - Dinner at Trummer's on Main - Scott and Becky team up with Trummer's for a fantastic dinnertime experience.
- March 8 - "Ramos Gin Fizz" Shake Off - VIP members only party for the new Barrel Aged Gin.
- March 11 - War Shore Oyster Tasting - Join us as we invite War Shore Oyster Company to pair oysters with cocktails in our tasting room.
- March 12 - Whiskey Event at the W Hotel - Join Scott at the Root Cellar of Pinea, located at the historic W Hotel in DC.
- March 13 - Sips and Savories with Willowsford - Again, we team up with Chef Bonnie Moore for some cool eats and smooth drinks!
- March 14 - Barrel Aged Gin Tasting at Weygandt Wines - Get a taste of the new release at Weygandt Wines in DC.
- March 15 - Barrel Aged Gin - Available for purchase for the general public.
- March 16 - Barrel Aged Gin Party at Hanks on the Hill - 5pm - 7pm with drink specials and a happy hour menu.
- March 20 - Dinner at the Distillery - In our second year, these monthly dinners have become quite the sensation!
- March 21 - Thomas Circle Singers Gala - Enjoy an evening of choral pops, cocktails, food, and a silent auction.
- March 28 - Bottling Workshop - Yes, we still have room in March! Join us for free and learn how to bottle whisky!
- March 29 - Catoctin Creek Art Contest Event - We will announce the winners of the art contest and have tastings available.
- March 31 - Eat and Drink like a BOSS! - Join Scott and Becky at Boss Shepherd's in DC for some great food and whiskey pairings.
Holy cow! That's a lot of events!!!
For the full list of events, check our events page.
Cocktail of the Month – Ramos Gin Fizz
This cocktail requires quite a bit of shaking... best to do it with friends!
3 oz Catoctin Creek Pearousia Barrel "Old Tom" Watershed Gin
1/2 oz parts fresh lime juice
1/2 oz fresh fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
4 oz cream
1 egg white
3 dashes Orange flower water
2 drops Vanilla extract
Pour all ingredients except soda in a mixing glass, dry shake (no ice) for two minutes, add ice and hard shake for another minute.
Strain into a highball glass without ice, top with soda.
Recipe courtesy Wikipedia.
See this cocktail and hundreds more on our cocktails page.
As always, there are lots of fun and information on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, where you can stay up to date with the daily activities at the distillery. We do tours and tastings every day, so stop by and see us sometime!
Scott & Becky
Arriving in March, 2015 in the Golden State.
February 23, 2015, Purcellville, VA – Catoctin Creek expanded its distribution into California through JVS Imports, a wine and spirits importer and wholesaler located in South San Francisco. Initially, the Purcellville distillery will ship its award winning Roundstone Rye and Roundstone Rye "92 Proof" into the California market.
"This is a watershed day for us, since California is one of the biggest and most significant markets in the US," said Scott Harris, founder of the distillery. "We've waited quite some time before feeling like we were ready for the west coast again. We feel JVS will be an excellent partner in distribution into the state."
This marks the return of the Virginia distillery into the California market. Originally in California in 2010, the company later pulled back from the state to focus on local markets like Virginia, DC, and Maryland. "Now, with the expanded capacity of the new distillery on Main Street in Purcellville, we feel we have the product supply to move into California more confidently," said Mr. Harris.
"We at JVS Imports are delighted to be adding the Catoctin Creek selection of products to our existing portfolio of American Craft Spirits," said Sam Filmus, president of JVS Imports. "This multi-award winning distillery offers the finest spirits available. The JVS Team is excited to introduce the line to California's fine spirits consumers."
Initial distribution will start around the southern California area before moving into the rest of the state.
About JVS Imports: JVS Wine and Spirit Imports (360 Swift Ave. Block B Suite 9, South San Francisco, CA 94080; Phone: 650-869-5555) was started over 10 years ago in the San Francisco Bay Area. In 1997 Sam Filmus and his family began the business of importing and distributing wines from Eastern Europe. The business grew in two important directions. The first was the development of JVS as an importer with a national network of distributors for its products. The second was the growth of JVS as a wholesaler in California. For more information, please visit www.jvsimports.com.
The folks over at SmokyBeast got their hands on a bottle of Single Cask Nation Catoctin Creek Rye, a private barrel expression we released only through SCN, and I believe they were pretty delighted with the dram! You can taste this yourself down at Jack Rose in Washington DC, and a few other locations nationwide. (Ask your whiskey puveyor if they carry Single Cask Nation, and if they do, you're probably in good shape!) Unfortunately, this expression is LONG AGO sold out directly from Single Cask Nation.
Here's the review:
Very nice job from Catoctin Creek & a great pick from Single Cask Nation. We'd never guess this was such a young rye, and it really holds up to many older whiskies. We're looking forward to seeing what comes out of this interesting distillery over the years.
You can read the entire review, here.